Re: GTV6 gas cap

Yes, The GTV-6 gas caps are no more. If you can't find a used one (like from APE), your best bet is to install a "racing filler" style aftermarket cap. These have a large round, chrome or bright or anodized aluminum flange/escutcheon which screws to the bodywork with 6 flush-head screws. The cap is flush with the escutcheon and has a recessed tab that locks with a key. Martin DeCampo put one on his prototype Calloway GTV-6 and it looks really nice. Maybe he could give us some information on where to get them.

George Graves
'86 GTV-6

On Thursday, November 21, 2002, at 01:46 PM, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 13:40:44 EST
From: Pottree@domain.elided
Subject: GTV6 gas cap

In a message dated 11/20/2002 11:42:30 AM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

GTV6 Locking Gas Cap

I lost the gas cap last night and when I went back to the station this
morning, all that was left was the lock. It must have been run over by
something very heavy. Anyway, anybody that9s parting out a GTV6 want to
sell the gas cap?

Okay, further on the thread of making nice to "lesser" makes...

I have heard that it is VERY difficult to replace a GTV6 gas cap, so if you
have yours, BE CAREFUL OUT THERE. If not, best luck.

But, in all, for a specialized part these are too easy to lose in the
hurly-burly of normal life. Once upon a time I had a Honda Accord (the Lease
Queen) and it's much more ordinary gas cap was attached to the car with a
small nylon (?) filament, and there was also a hand place to hang it on the
indie of the filler door while at the pump. This approach was, to me,
superior to what Alfa came up with and I think shows a little more concern
for the ultimate user and the product as it will be used by a lot of people
in normal life, IOW, the kind of mass market thinking need to be successful
in a consumer-oriented heavy industry like automobiles.

With an eye to the natural world, I bet that some plants or animals that have
gone extinct had some dandy abilities and adaptations, but there was
something in the overall mix that made it impossible for them to succeed and
survive in their niche. I suspect something like an auto company is like
that, too: there may have been some wonderful, forward-think attributes to
lots of the makes that have gone from the scene, but overall they didn't have
what it takes to survive.

Does Alfa?

Charlie
LA, CA, USA