1750 vs 2000

Modelle at Somers Point asks:

>The 2 liter has a much deeper sump, which begs the question: why are the oil
>pumps for each engine the same part number?

There used to be two different part numbers but the short oil pump hasn't been
available for a number of years.  When rebuilding the engine you have to use
the available longer pump at which point your lower sump becomes a garage wall
ornament as you must purchase a deep sump to go with your deep pump.  This was
my experience in rebuilding my 1600 about 12 yrs. ago.  There was no way that
the original sump would even fit back on with the longer pump.  Many years ago
you could buy gears to rebuild the oil pumps but I think those are long gone.
Anybody know differently?  I seem to recall that the inside diameter of the
gears was not the same between the two styles of pumps but I may be wrong
about that.  I've got two or three short oil pumps that need rebuilding that I
hate to just throw away (along with the shallow lower sumps.)  Am I just
clinging to the past?  Is it time to let go?

Bill Sinclair  (a packrat in need of reform)
'67 Duetto