Spider rear end question

Can anyone provide some insight on my '73 Spider's rear end? I have been living with a leaky seal on the driveshaft (input) flange for about 10 years. I have had a new seal in my toolbox for about 10 years too, but have not installed it due to the fancy nut used on the flange.

Can anyone provide advice on how to remove this nut? Does anyone have the special tool available for rent or loan (with deposit of course) so that this job can get done? Also, should I even bother or do most people in my shoes just live with a slow to moderate leak?

Thanks.

-Jason Hagen
'73 Spider
'88 BMW 735i