Re: A-R 1474WD

Darryl Davis said:

The Euro Saloon Car racing, notice the 156's are termed GTAs
   with 4 cylinder engines, BMW/Volve objected to alfa using the
   V6 (whether in 2.5L, 3L or 3.2L form). Racing is a strange world!
Guess the unreliable, poorly accelerating FWD 156s would not be
competitive with six cylinders!

Ok - so BMW/Volvo are using 6 cyls? Did they say (or do you know) what
their "reasons" for objecting to a 6 cyl were? Leaves one to imagine they
were afraid of real competition, especially if the 4 cyls are giving them
this much trouble right now.
I'm not sure, but I believe they might be "real" 156 GTA's, with the 3.2L V6 replaced. The GTA version is fairly modified suspension wise from the stock ones.

The FIA European Turing Car Championship race has a 2L engine limit.. so Team Nord Auto (and the rest of the Alfas) are using a 4 cyl motors, admittedly tweaked to 270hp. The Volvo is actually a 5 cyl (? leave it to the Swedes) and the BMW's are 6's. All 2000cc's.

They went to a rev limit penalty/adjustment of 9000 for the 6's (just BMW) 8750 with the 5's (just Volvo) and 8500 for the 4's.. (Alfa, the occasional Honda, etc) Also a change in the weight limits for FWD and RWD cars, which made the Alfa's and some others carry more, and I believe the BMW's carry some less. You can find all this on the ETCC website, and Team Nord Auto as well.

I kind of feel that if you have a displacement limit, and the Alfa groups (NOT factory supported I think..) can tune 20 more HP than the German cars, what's the problem?

Anyway.. the races have been very interesting, lots of action, even some elbowing of cars off the track in tight spots. (usually the Germans) The two Volvo's (and their drivers) are actually a force to be reckoned with in this season.. Good racing.. just heckle the British Git right back and keep watching!

Jon