Suspension Questions

Hello Digestians..

While awaiting engine work.. I'm looking at my somewhat shakey suspension, in our 77 Spider that we picked up in July.

So far, been looking at the front, (brakes as well) and I see some bushings need replacement.

Question one.. How do you judge when a large bushing is shot or not?
I have read that tie-rod ends you can try to move by hand, if they have noticable play, they're bad. But, you must use a pry bar or some such to test the major ones.

Armed with my new Pickle Fork(tm) as a convienent bar, I've determined some obviously loose ones (both upper control arm caster bushings) and some I'm not so sure of.. (upper control arm inners, ball joints, lower A-arm bushings) How much force should they take without flexing?

Question two.. which ones are reccomendable to be replaced with polyurethane for what will remain a mostly street car? I know that going too far can give you an overly harsh ride. How about for the rear suspension as well?

Question three.. how do you determine the state of your springs, when they need replacement? Height? My car is a little off, left to right.
I looked at the left side, and was greeted to a disturbing sight: the spring seemed to be a good 1/2-3/4" off center in the lower A-arm, being no longer centered in it's crushed shim/cup thing. WTF?!?

I did see a little lable still clinging to the rust, bearing "ILMA 20" on the right. The left only had the "ILMA" with no number.. This I found in my 2000 technical characteristics book, as the second lightest of 5 springs (214mm @ 739-745Kg) Springs are rusty, but not severely, and I don't think the fronts have any breaks..

Question four.. which heavier springs are a good choice in a Spider, that will be driven enthusiastically, but also as a long road trip machine.. i.e. a good balance between great handling, and keeping our fillings as we drive up the coast on weekends?

Sheesh.. I'm writing a book again.. off to see if we're having a meteor storm!

Jon and Marcia
77 Spider