Unichip piggy-back ECU for L-Jet cars

There has been some discussion of this device on gtv6.org.  It is
essentially a 2nd ECU that piggy-backs onto the stock ECU.  It seems like it
could be a viable solution for those of us with L-Jet cars that cannot be
'chipped.'  According to what others have said, it's only supposed to cost
about $160 or so.  However, I didn't inquire directly about price; so don't
take that number to the bank.  The web site for the manufacturer of the
Unichip is http://www.dastek.co.za

I spoke with the US distributor for the Unichip, The Racer's Group (707)
935-3999, & they said that they've gotten the Unichip to work on an L-Jet
equipped Porsche 944.  I spoke to a guy named Jack, & he said that if
someone is willing to provide a car, they'll tune a Unichip for L-Jet Alfa
V6's.  Being that I own a Milano, that is what I focused on when I talked to
him.  I'm sure they'd be willing to develop one for an L-Jet Spider as well,
especially considering the fact that there'd be a much larger market for a
Spider version of this device.  They're in Sonoma, CA; so if someone in that
area is willing to give it a go, this could possibly become a viable
solution for L-Jet tuning.  I figure the biggest hurdle in making this work
is the fact that Alfa used the older version of L-Jet which has separate
fuel & spark boxes versus the 944 which uses one box for everything.

This item caught my interest because I've been into VW's for a while as
well.  In the VW community, there were gripes about the lack of tunability
with regard to analog systems such as CIS-E & Digifant (VW's proprietary
alternative to L-Jet).  About a couple of years or so ago, piggy back ECU's
for these systems started to hit the market, & while they didn't make these
systems as good as Motronic, they were a worthwhile improvement.  Owners
have been quite happy with them  I'm hoping that the Unichip can do the same
for L-Jet Alfas.

If someone with an L-Jet Alfa in or around Sonoma, CA is willing to give
this a shot, call Jack at The Racer's Group (707) 935-3999.  No business
interest or affiliation on my part.  I'd just like to see whether or not
this will work.

Michael Keith
Houston, TX
'87 Milano Gold