Subject: Re: 3.0 vs 2.5 V6 Throttle Bodies

At 5:52 PM +0000 11/13/02, alfa-digest wrote:
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 11:40:33 EST
From: GLewis4457@domain.elided
Subject: Subject: Re: 3.0 vs 2.5 V6 Throttle Bodies

In a message dated 11/13/2002 2:10:19 AM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

 Hi George &Michael,

 The throttle body is good for many bhp. AFM is a good idea actually,
 but like George said, needs some changes here and there.

The original Alfa published upgrade using the BMW AFM also required using the
matching BMW L-Jet computer and the matching BMW injectors to get the
performance claimed.  I used to have a copy of the original Alfa build sheet
(damn can't find it on the computer any more) identifying these parts and
claiming they were good for about 200-210 HP on the 2.5 liter motor, if my
memory serves me....no guarantee here.  Any way, just the AFM is not enough.

Jerry in Houston
Although others have claimed otherwise, it seems fairly obvious that the AFM alone won't accomplish much, and my initial tests indicated that the engine ran *very* lean if the AFM was the only variable changed (oxygen sensor disconnected). I assume that an adjustable fuel pressure regulator is the way to go, and should have the same effect as installing the bigger injectors from the BMW. As for the effects of the ECU swap, perhaps even more fuel pressure will do the same thing? Or a modified Alfa ECU from Kirshtein or Zat? I'd be more inclined to trust one of those in my car than a computer that was designed for a completely different engine.

Joe Elliott