flow area, compression

Folks-

Sorry if I'm late and all has been answered, but if not, here's my 2 cents.

Regarding Fred's compression question: absent combustion, compression is usually considered (somewhat ideally, i.e. no leakage) as a polytropic compression:

Pv^k = constant (that's pressure * volume or specific volume to the kth power = a constant) for a closed system.

k for a reversible adiabatic process would be the ratio of specific heats (1.4 for air) but since even motored engines have heat transfer, k is usually taken to be about 1.3.

Now you can do the math for yourself, since the initial volume divided by the final volume (same constant) is the arithmetic compression ratio. My sample calc shows that at sea level, P (final) for CR = 10 is about 2 MPa absolute, or 20 bar or 290 psi (note there is no blowby here; also arithmetic and actual compression rations are not usually equal, actual being smaller as cylinder pressure takes up clearances in journal bearings, etc). At 14,000 ft (about 3500 m) the ambient pressure is about 65 kPa (101 kPa at sea level) and the final pressure is about 1.29 MPa absolute. Note the difference is more than the change in ambient pressure because ambient multiples CR^k.

Clearly the numbers you might get on the gage will be a little different because of the idealization --primarily ring leakage--in this analysis, but unless blowby varies hugely with atmospheric pressure it's unlikely to have a big influence. Most data suggests rings seat better at higher cylinder pressures, assuming they are not too worn, broken, large end-gap,...

As someone pointed out, most compression gages I have seen are simple Bourdon tube gages, which measure the difference between the pressure inside the gage and the ambient pressure. Take one apart--they're pretty rugged. There's a bent tube into which the test fluid goes. As the pressure rises, the tube will straighten out, moving the needle through a gear mechanism. If the pressure inside and outside of the bent tube are equal, there's no reason for it to straighten our (or bend more). Thus the gage should still read "0" when open to atmosphere no matter where you are. There are absolute (as opposed to gage pressure) gages, but they require a sealed chamber and are quite expensive.

On another topic--airflow into engines; my calculations suggest that the opening at the throttle body (3.0 in diameter vs. 2.5 in diameter) is at least 2 x the maximum valve curtain area (as well as larger than the flapper opening in most cases). Given that, while a larger throttle body may reduce flow losses somewhat, it's hard for me to see how it could make a substantial difference in airflow to a cylinder (much bigger losses elsewhere). Enlarging the valves, higher lift, freer port and seat flow--I can see those making a big difference in airflow.

That's it. I'll go away now.

Pat Farrell