re: Commpression checks

In AD v9n19, Fred wrote:

>Here is one to kick around, if I get a high reading at sea level, then
>drive up to  a 14,000 foot mountain top.  would I get a higher or lower
>reading then?   Fred

Lower, the air is significantly less dense ("thinner") at that altitude and
there is less to compress in the cylinder. That's the major reason old piston
airplane engines were super/turbo charged - to regain the original sea-level
performance at altitude.

You have 14,000ft mountains in Florida?!?!? I thought those were only
available here in the Pacific Northwest. :-)

Tom
Seattle
10123
11615