74 Spider warm up

First, slow warm up could be thermostat stuck open or removed by PO.
Time to warm up should not be influenced by SPICA issues (very much).

Since you start and can get by using the hand throttle, I'm guessing you
are in warm climate. What is the ambient air temp where you are starting
the car?

When TA's fail, they usually run rich all the time.
I've not heard of a TA extending too fast. Maybe the TA has the wrong
fluid, was it replaced or repaired?

Several possible problems.

1. PO installed TA cut off switch; it's still turned off (or failed).
2. Wire to TA disconnected.
3. Cold start solenoid malfunction, but since it starts, less likely.

If you live in a cold climate and it starts okay and then needs throttle
to run, the other possibility is sticking piston, cams or such inside
pump. Did the car sit in wet weather without use before you bought it? I
had this happen to me on a GTV that was in a carport, but didn't get
driven for a while. When I finally drove it, it started but I needed to
keep the revs up or it would stall.

There are other people on the digest that have a lot more SPICA
experience than me, but these are a few ideas.

Good luck.

Mike Nakamura
Fall City WA USA
mike_nakamura@domain.elided