Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 22:54:04 +0000
From: JeffreyOlson@domain.elided
Subject: Waterpump/headgasket diagnosis, '84 Spider...

Hmmm, I stupidly bought a POS '84 Spider- -temperature guage is frozen in
the middle of the scale. The oil pressure guage also stays on 'zero' but I
believe the sending unit is probably bad. almost NO flow through the heater
circuit.  Seems to run hot .  The water pump does not leak and seems to
rotate smoothly.  I blew all the hoses through with compressed air and there
are no obvious obstructions.  Radiator is in good shape.
There are no leaks in the system, holds pressure, no unusual noises, really
good even compression on all cylinders, no water in the exhaust or smell of
burning coolant, no oil in the coolant, no coolant in the oil.
Any chance the impeller on the waterpump is slipping on the shaft?  Just
does not seem to be much coolant circulation.
YES, I have flushed and bled the system several times.  YES, I've checked,
and even REMOVED, the thermostat.
Just don't seem to have the usual symptoms of a blown head gasket?
Any ideas, comments, etc.?
Thanks!
Jeff
'78 Spider