Project Alfa

I just thought I'd give a little update on Project Alfa. I know it's been
almost 5 years. You know what? It is definitely going to be 5+ years before
it's done - definitely going to be at Monterey next August. But all of that
aside, I just thought I'd let you all know that she does run. First start
was last week, just a test run and there were a few bugs to ring out such as
adjusting the timing range of the distributor and adding a few shims under
the thermostatic actuator. Test runs have been short as I want to break the
rings in properly after I get the windshield installed which will be after
the paint.

It may seem a bit bass-ackwards but since September 11, 2001 my career has
been somewhat "shaky" to say the least and I deemed that getting Project
Alfa on wheels with a running motor was the most prudent direction to take
so I now have a fully assembled and running vehicle with no doors, hood or
trunk lid and no paint. It's not a big deal because the only section that
won't be painted is the engine compartment and since the car will be painted
the original color it shouldn't be noticeable. Not that it would matter
anyway because if you do by chance get to see this thing it will most likely
be kicking up dust and making noise.

The paint job itself has been quite a stumbling block. Everything is prepped
and ready. I really don't have the equipment or facilities to do it myself
but I'll be damned if I'm not laying awake at night figuring how to
fabricate and accommodate this task. I've pretty much done everything on
this project myself, no outscoring other than the heavy machine shop work
and it's kind of become a tenet.

As for the lengthy time, well there have been distractions if you will.
There are boats, jet skis and airplanes in my life and last summer there was
a very expensive trip back to my wife's homeland for a 25th year silver
wedding. So I've got excuses. Project Alfa might be done now but my brother
talked me into going to Florida the first week of December to get a
floatplane rating with him. That set things back about six months.

In the end, it's all about money - interspersed with lots of enjoyment.

Paul Irvine - Antioch CA
Project Alfa - http://home.pcmagic.net/pi