Re: electric radiator fan conversion / part wanted for 74 GTV

Dan writes:

>I want to put an electric radiator fan in my 74 GTV.
>
>I know that I don't want type that mounts with the plastic ties through the
>core and I'd like to have a temp sensor with a proper weld-in bung in the
>bottom tank.
>
>Is there a kit out there that satisfies these requirements or do I have to
>put it together myself.

In my '74 GTV,  used a fan marketed by Vintage Air www.vintageair.com  .  They
are widely distributed, I bought my parts from a local radiator repair shop
(Mac's in Portland).  It comes with metal brackets which I was able to bend to
fit inside the radiator support, allowing the fan to mount flush to the front
of the radiator (pusher style).  I don't recall the exact size, but I think it
was a 12" fan, rated at something like 1400 cfm.  This is not a complete kit,
just the fan.  Vintage Air also sells thermostats, relays, temp controls,
etc., pretty much all the parts you need except wiring.  I decided to use one
of the temp controls with a probe inserted in the lower rad tank through the
hose, it works fine and doesn't leak if installed carefully.

Tony
Portland, OR
70 2800 CS
72 Bavaria (for sale!)