paint

I'm looking to re-paint my spider soon---original silver color of course...and I was wondering
if anyone in the southern cal area has had experience with paint shops down in mexico?
I don't want to skimp on a crappy job, but I've heard (from people who know people who know people,
of course...argh) that there are some excellent places down there to get a quality, hand-sanded
paint job for quite a bit less than the $3500 or so I've been quoted here in the LA area...
From what I hear, the laws in CA make painting cars very expensive nowadays...I also wouldn't
have a problem driving over to Vegas or something if it will save me a grand or so--assuming of
course that it's a professional job.  If I have to spend the cash--so be it...I'm not going to take any chances
with my car's paint...but I'd like to believe that just because a guy painting a car is mexican doesn't mean he
is any less capable or talented than some guy in a shop up here...
I'm looking for people who have actually had it done down there, or know someone first-hand that has, so
I can see the quality of paint before I leave my car in the hands of people in another country, where it would
be next to impossible for any legal recourse if the job gets botched up, or god forbid the car vanishes.
Likewise with any shops in Vegas or Arizona...
Other ideas would be great too....I guess I'm just looking for other options than shelling out 3 or 4 grand to
paint a small car in it's original color---mabye I'm out of touch but that seems expensive....but I've had 4 different
shops in orange county quote right in the same area...

Ok, flame away...