Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 22:26:26 -0800
From: "Timothy Leigh Rodgers" <timothy@domain.elided>
Subject: headlights - Giulias Super

My 1971 Giulia 1300 Super-European car-is the two headlight version.  There
are a pair of Carello housings with tungsten removable bulbs.  I developed a
semi-padiddle (sp?)-that is, OK high beams, one light out low beam. (Where
does the term padiddle come from, anyway?)
A friend and I pulled the bad bulb and replaced it with another from his
collection of spares-paddidle cured!
Yesterday, we were at the 'Best of France and Italy' and it was recommended
that I upgrade to quartz iodide (halogen) bulbs for increased brightness (so
I wouldn't travel like those Lucas folks whose light switches have three
positions--off, flicker, and dim.)  Anyhow, at the swap meet I found that
the new bulbs don't fit in the old housings, and that one has to buy new
housings as well as bulbs.  Then I stumbled into a vendor who had the bulbs
I want with the base adapted to the old style housings (called a P45 base.)
If anyone else is interested, contact Gunther Hansele at Aardvark
International 562-699-8887 aardvark@domain.elided www.talbotco.com   The
product I bought is a Narva quartz iodide bulb from Germany 12V 60/55W with
a P45 base.
Ciao!
Timothy
'71 Alfa Romeo Giulia 1300 Super