Alfas at Magny-Cours

Last night (Sunday) Speed ran the first of the year's European Sedan Championship races from the Magny-Cours track in France. The race was apparently held in April, and we're seeing it now as (I suspect) the Bubba-Boys racing (NASCAR) season winds down for the year and the spectators turn their attention to indoor tractor-pulls and the like. This race marked the first outing for the new Alfa Romeo GTA and from the beginning, two Alfas pulled away from the pack and stayed there to win the first heat. It reminded me of Michael Schumacher and Rubens Barachello in sedans. But the SECOND heat! They handicapped the Alfas by putting them at the back of the pack and they had to work their way up to the front again which they handedly did in the first 6 laps to leave all of the BMWs in the dust! It sure is nice to see the heart-shaped grill in the winners circle again. My advice is to watch out for this series as Speed runs it this fall. Alfas apparently ruled this past season. HOORAY!

George Graves
'86 GTV-6