Re: 74 Spider T/A .... post-adjustment phase

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Sheridan" <tds6599@domain.elided>
To: <alfa-digest@domain.elided>
Sent: Monday, November 04, 2002 2:02 PM
Subject: 74 Spider T/A .... post-adjustment phase

> 11 4 02 -- Wilmington NC (74 Spider)
>
> Hey Cats . . .
>
> ok, adjusted the HOT gap to .019 (using screw under T/A, .019 achieved
with
> 3.5 revolutions "out" from being fully seated [the screw, that is]) and
the
> car now just runs like crap ... the INITIAL hot measurement (with long arm
> removed) was a whopping 1/4" !!  ...  and getting it down to .019 made
> things worse
>
> it actually runs reasonbly (yet still chokes like a dog) with the the
> adjusting screw "screwed all the way in" AND the T/A shimmed about 1/8"
> [which is completely opposite of what "should be" happening]
>
> I rapped the side of the cold start solenoid, no change
>
> I'm now at a loss as to WTF is wrong with this  ....  any more ideas from
> the erudite bunch ????
>
> why does my car hate me ???
>
> thanks,
>
> Tim Sheridan
> 74 Spider (hates me)
> 87 CRX Si (my buddy)
> Wilmington NC
>

> Tim,

Achieving the sacred .019 inch gap is just the first step.  The 019 is good
only if the reference screw has not be altered, i.e., the lock wire is still
in place.  There are 9 other steps as described in the excellent Tune Up
Cline on the Oregon chapter web site
(http://alfaclub.org/tecstff/tunespca.htm).  Thre is also a write up on a
clinic conducted by Wes Ingram in the same site.  The TA is Alfa's version
of a choke.  Assuming the "choke" is correctly adjusted,  the other factors
affecting engine breathing must be correct -  throttle position  min/max,
throttle plates synchornized, cold start solenoid, yadah, yadah, yadah - you
get the picture.

So don't give up yet,   check out the step-by-step on the Oregon site to
finish the job.

Don