Re: Insurance for Alfa

Chris. I have an '86 GTV-6 and I have it insured with Grundy. Its an "agreed value" arrangement and we have agreed on $7500 as the car's value. The coverage is full liability and full comprehensive with collision coverage up to $7500 after which the car is totaled with $1000 buy-back for the carcass. This Insurance costs me $125/year. There are no milage restrictions with Grundy, per se, but they do tell you what you cannot 'legally' do. You cannot use the car as a 'second' car even in emergencies. In other words, you cannot use the car like your daily driver in a case where, for instance, the daily driver is in the shop. You cannot drive the car to work (unless your employer is holding some sort of automotive show-and-tell day or some such) and you are not supposed to drive it to the store or on other errands of that sort. You can go on pleasure drives and there is no limit to those, and, of course, you can drive to AROC functions, car shows, tours, track days, etc. In other words its pretty common sense usage for a "hobby" car rather than a serious transportation appliance. I thinks they are more than reasonable both in their rules and their prices. I certainly wish that I could get my old VW daily driver insured for so little per year.

George Graves
'86 GTV-6

On Monday, November 4, 2002, at 10:33 AM, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 07:21:37 -0500
From: "Chris Sasso" <Chris.Sasso@domain.elided>
Subject: insurance for Alfa

Hi All,

I would like to hear from folks that have been able to insure their late
model Alfa with a collector's insurance company (Hagerty, Grundy, etc.).
The car is not a daily driver, I use it only for weekends and club
events. I removed it from my regular insurance because of the cost and
thought it would be easy to take out a collector policy. However,
Hagerty and Grundy told me they will not insure an '87 spider. Grundy
gave me a quote but later responded that they do not insure low value
late model sports cars.

Thanks for any input,
Chris