From: Lew Rosenberger [mailto:milanopilot@domain.elided]
Sent: Monday, November 04, 2002 8:21 AM
To: Alfa Digest
Subject: Milano shakes when cold

BlankHello All,
On the first start of the day my '87 Milano 2.5 refuses to go anywhere until
the engine is completely up to normal operating temp (~170F on the gauge).
The idle is VERY rough, and any attempt to go on down the road is met with
lack of power and violent shaking. Once she warms up all is fine, and there
is no problem with subsequent starts during the day with a cool engine -
just the initial cold start.

The logical suspect appeared to be the auxiliary air device so I checked it
by throttling the outlet hose as instructed in the manual. A throttled hose
on a cold engine slows the idle speed, and on a warm engine there is no
effect - all as the book says it should be. I've re-tightened all the air
inlet connections I could find - no help.  Does anyone have a suggestion as
to what I should look for next?

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Lew Rosenberger