Re: dead spider battery

0.2 or 0.3 amps seems excessive to me, but I could be wrong. By comparison, my '74 Spider only draws ~20 mA, and that's due to the alarm and memory in the radio/CD player. 20mA is one tenth of 0.2A. 0.3 amps is about enough for a small light bulb, maybe in the glove box, trunk, footwell, etc. The method of using an ammeter and pulling fuses, one at a time, to isolate the current draw is an ideal way to track it down. There are a few circuits on the car that are un-fused, like the voltage regulator and starter solenoid, for example.

Regards,

Dean

At 01:59 PM 11/3/2002, you wrote:

Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2002 02:46:18 -0600
From: "joel lewis" <loosej89@domain.elided>
Subject: re: dead spider battery

you need to get an ammeter.  remove a lead from your battery and put the
meter leads in between the now removed terminal wire and the battery post
and see how much current draw you have.  you probably will have some.
if i recall, i had between .2 and .3 amp draw.  then go to your fuse box
and pull a fuse, check your ammeter.  if the draw is gone, then see
what electrical items are on that circuit and by dissconnecting things
try to isolate your problem.

if on pulling the fuse the draw still exists, pull another fuse.  repeat
this till you find it.

  i have had to do this twice in the past year on the '82 spider.  the
first bad item was my clock, the second was my electric mirrors switch.

good luck.

joel lewis

houston, tx