RE: How many old alfas in daily use?

James Montebello wrote:
>People also feel more strongly about preserving
>their '72 GTV than they do their Corona.  Still, I'd be willing to bet
>that anyone attempting to use a 30 year old Toyota as a daily driver
has
>to be just as familiar with their mechanic or toolbox as the GTV owner
>has to be.

>Why do the "reliable" cars always end up in the junkyard, while the
>"unreliable" cars still get used on a daily basis?
I drive my 1973 Spider every day in the Spring and Summer.

I can shed some light on the question of "reliable" cars in the
junkyard.  In the early '80's I happened upon a 1971 Toyota Corona with
about 100,000 miles on it.  The car was in great shape and I ultimately
put over 300,000 on it before the steering gear began to break away from
its mounts.  The car was a blast to drive and would demand quite a
ritual to start on cold mornings.  Because of the steering gear, I had
to stop driving it.  I let the license plates lapse and my land lord had
it towed away.  I didn't bother to retrieve it.

Contrast that to my 1973 Spider that has a very tired engine but a good
body and interior.  The clock shows 79,000 miles but who knows how many
times it has clicked over.  I would do ANYTHING to keep it on the road.
My wife has named her Anita as in Anitatention.  I drive it every day
the weather permits.  It always starts, never leaks (water when it
rains), and is way more rewarding than the old Corona.  The neat thing
about the Alfa is whenever it offers resistance; I can usually sort out
the problem within 30 minutes or so.  The same was true with the Yoyta.
The difference is, as most of you know, whenever I work on the Alfa, I
look forward to getting it running for very different reasons.
RAA
'73 Spider (Tired engine, great body)
'76 Spider (Rusted out body, amazing engine)