Spider door panel anchors, design whose time has gone

In a message dated 10/31/2002 5:32:10 PM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

>     My door panels are loose because thef unky clips that hold the
> panels to the door are broken.  Where can I get replacements for these?
> If not exact replacements, what (specifically) would one suggest using?
> I gather I could use self-tapping metal screws for the bottom, but I don't
> want an obvious screw showing up on the top edge of the door panel.

You can order these "expendables" from the usual sources; one of them is
likely to have a trayful in stock and they are light and can be mailed
easily...

But if your Spider is like mine, you may well find that the problem is not
just the broken plastic anchor (they get dry and brittle over time and break
and they will also break if you need to get the door panel off for any
reason) but the cardboard or masonite type material they are supposed to
anchor to; over time the hole gets bigger through wear or a couple of
pluggings of the anchors, and then I don't know what you do because the
anchors are supposed to fit in particular spots on the door panels.  I am
waiting for a great suggestion on this one!

Or, you can get to the place I'm at, which is perhaps it is time to recall
the days when interior door panels (if there were any) were attached with
crosshead Phillips screws and curved washers.  There is almost surely a way
to make that work if you accept seeing the screw heads v having the door
panel flapping, vibrating, or catching on your pants (or dress, as the case
may be) when exiting.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA