parts cleaning

Jon, et al
I've been wondering about the same thing, especially in regard to assemblies
that are removed but not taken completely apart. The cylinder head and
transmission mainshaft are two items that come to mind. After they've sat
around for awhile, is it safe to put them into a solvent wash to clean them?
 Will the solvent remove oil that might otherwise protect the assembly at
start-up?  My guess is that the purists will suggest a comprehensive approach
that would require total reduction of assemblies before cleaning. I honestly
don't know....and will be very intereseted to see any and all responses from
the Digest. I've been told that to hot tank a head with the valves in place
is an invitation to disaster.
Modelle in Somers Point