Re: Rattling on acceleration with cold engine

In a message dated Fri, 01 Nov 2002 01:26:53 +0000, owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> I've noticed that the shifter wiggles a bit when I put torque
> through to the tranny upon releasing the clutch, but then that too stops
> wiggling pretty much once the clutch is fully let out.
>
>    Has anyone else had this kind of thing before?  Have I just
> described exact symptoms of something you recognize?  e.g.,
> motor or
> tranny mounts being bad?

Hi Don,

If this "thumping" stops as soon as the clutch is fully engaged, the problem is uneven wear on the clutch.  This problem can be made worse be worn engine/tranny mounts, but not necessarily.

I had that problem on my first car, an old Toyota Corolla.  It only happened occasionally, but was quite annoying.  The clutch never gave out, though.

I also had the problem with my Spider when I first got it.  It needed a new clutch.  Problem solved.

Brian
'82 Spider