Re: alfa-digest V8 #1262 Autocross launch

Glenn,

Here's my response: My wife and I have autocrossed Alfas extensively since
1968, and have never experienced a driveline failure related to launch. This
while always using the stickiest tires available. The experience I can offer
is our use of a G-Analyst several years ago. This was an accelerometer with
an in-car screen to play back the forces in an autocross run. This screen
lacked resolution,  but the scan could be downloaded to a PC with graphics
accurate to .01 G. My launch style then was pretty aggressive with lots of
RPM and wheelspin. Dee would merely rev to 3000 RPM and release the clutch
smartly. The G-Analyst gave a clear trace of acceleration, and guess which
was steeper?. Not mine.

My current method is a part throttle launch with some clutch slip, then full
throttle after approxamitely 10-15 feet, wherupon the tires break loose
again, then grab. This with an SCCA Street-Prepared '76 Spider, Hoosier
Radial autocross tires on 9 x 15 in. rims, and a Tilton aluminum flywheel.
So, the launch for best time is a compromise depending on your level of car
preparation, while I am convinced the drivetrain can take almost anything.

Have fun,

George Schweikle
Lexington, KY