Re: buying a GTV6

On Tuesday, October 29, 2002, at 01:51  PM, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 12:40:29 EST
From: Pottree@domain.elided
Subject: buying a GTV6

In a message dated 10/28/2002 6:02:34 PM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

Well, Dennis, while I don't blame you from putting a Mini Cooper on
your short list, I do have to disagree about the availability of really
GOOD GTV-6's. I have seen MANY since I bought mine. ... Anyway, if you
look around, you can find real fine GTV-6's, They flourish because
parts are abundant and relatively inexpensive compared to many exotic
(and some not so exotic) cars.

I have to agree with everything George has to say about searching out an
adoptable GTV6.

One thought I'd add: there are cars, as he said, that are pretty bone stock,
but also a lot have had an "upgrade" to a Milano-style clutch, as mine has.
I don't consider GTV-6s with Milano clutches and mechanical tensioners, and one-piece head gaskets to be modified cars. As far as I'm concerned, these are just stock repair options. When I talk of upgraded cars, I'm referring to engine mods and swaps (like to 3-liter), replacing GTV-6 tranaxels with Milano Verde units (for the limited-slip differential) and shifters and extensive suspension mods.

I am not even sure if there are any well-tended GTV6s around that have had a
new clutch in the old, original configuration, put in.
Well, I know of one and I have driven it, and both I and the current owner agree that a one-piece clutch is in order on the next clutch change. Its real 'grabby.'

When I bought my 84
GTV6 about 14 years ago, the transplant had already been done by the PO (who
was reluctantly selling the car to buy himself a GTV, which absolutely
confounded his dad, with whom I had to transact the actual money deal). A
GTV6-owning friend told me at the time this was a very good thing, and that I
would "never" need a new clutch again.

So far, so good!

The later GTV6s (I think 85 and 86 as sold in the USA but I could be a little
off on the dates) came with hard and costly to-fit metric size wheels.
Another OEM attribute I would go out of my way to avoid.
Hmm I've never seen a later GTV-6 with metric wheels. My '86 has the 15" so-called wine-glass wheels and I've never seen an wheel that looks better on a GTV-6.

George also mentions a SF car with a nice $5k paint job. This sounds like a
lot of money (reality check: it IS a lot of money) but for a reasonable,
professional job, this is within the range. Several years ago when I
repainted mine, I had about half a dozen estimates and even at that time $5k
was right in there; I think the highest estimate I got was $6.3k. And this
was for a car which required no bodywork prior to prep and spray, and for a
one-stage paint (no clearcoat, which I don't like because it's too hard to
maintain).
Yeah. I had mine painted for a lot less and even though the car looks OK, I'm far from happy with the paint job. When the economy returns to some semblance of normal in Silicon Valley, I'm going to put a new metal-up paint job at the bottom of my 'to-do' list.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA
George Graves
'86 GTV-6