buying a GTV6

In a message dated 10/28/2002 6:02:34 PM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Well, Dennis, while I don't blame you from putting a Mini Cooper on
> your short list, I do have to disagree about the availability of really
> GOOD GTV-6's.  I have seen MANY since I bought mine. ...  Anyway, if you
> look around, you can find real fine GTV-6's, They flourish because
> parts are abundant and relatively inexpensive compared to many exotic
> (and some not so exotic) cars.

I have to agree with everything George has to say about searching out an
adoptable GTV6.

One thought I'd add: there are cars, as he said, that are pretty bone stock,
but also a lot have had an "upgrade" to a Milano-style clutch, as mine has.
I am not even sure if there are any well-tended GTV6s around that have had a
new clutch in the old, original configuration, put in.  When I bought my 84
GTV6 about 14 years ago, the transplant had already been done by the PO (who
was reluctantly selling the car to buy himself a GTV, which absolutely
confounded his dad, with whom I had to transact the actual money deal).  A
GTV6-owning friend told me at the time this was a very good thing, and that I
would "never" need a new clutch again.

So far, so good!

The later GTV6s (I think 85 and 86 as sold in the USA but I could be a little
off on the dates) came with hard and costly to-fit metric size wheels.
Another OEM attribute I would go out of my way to avoid.

George also mentions a SF car with a nice $5k paint job.  This sounds like a
lot of money (reality check: it IS a lot of money) but for a reasonable,
professional job, this is within the range.  Several years ago when I
repainted mine, I had about half a dozen estimates and even at that time $5k
was right in there; I think the highest estimate I got was $6.3k. And this
was for a car which required no bodywork prior to prep and spray, and for a
one-stage paint (no clearcoat, which I don't like because it's too hard to
maintain).

Charlie
LA, CA, USA