Subject: 2 non-related questions

Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 22:23:57 -0700
From: Stacy Faught <slfaught@domain.elided>

Second question is a bit more serious:  After my last run to redline in 5th
gear, a few
days later a strange phenomonon started happening---at super low speed (5mph
or less),
and at idle, there seems to be noticeable vibration that wasn't there before.
Is this indicative of the driveshaft donut failing?  I am skeptical, since it
happens at idle as well...
Any ideas would be appreciated....

I would suspect a U-Joint going bad but;
You can isolate whether it is drive train or engine related by getting into
the vibration mode, take the transmission out of gear and shut the engine off.
If the vibe stays, it's drive train.  If the vibe goes away, try the same
procedure only this time leave the transmission in gear, push the clutch and
shut the engine off.  Then, if the vibe stays, it's transmission.  If the vive
is only present with the engine running, nah, you already figured that one
out!!
Skip
67 Duetto
Norfolk Va