re: Re: The SUV Issue

At 1:08 PM +0000 10/25/02, alfa-digest wrote:
 how would they classify , say for instance, an IH '59 A-120 4x4 Travelall
?? Not an SUV because it had rubber floor mats instead of carpet ?? (Not to
mention no velour upholstery , manual locking hubs on the front, and an
actual LEVER with which to operate the transfer case AND,
OHMIGODHOWDREADFUL, those death trap split rim wheels ??)
Um, probably. Trucks for the sake of doing truck tasks have been around forever. While it's purely subjective, the argument that trucks wearing station wagon bodies and being passed off as safety-exempt and emissions-exempt passenger cars for getting groceries and killing motorists in suburbia might have started with the Bronco is a valid one. And I say that without doing any research or having been alive in the '70s, because I really don't care and it's really not relevant. But I will point out that the more-famous Willys and Rover products had been in existance for over a decade before Greg's '59 Travelall rolled off the assembly line. But I really don't think any of those vehicles were SUV's in spirit. I mean, a 1950's body-on-frame station wagon is mechanically the same as a 2WD SUV, right? But we don't consider it one because its purpose had nothing to do with the reasons SUVs are built today.