2 non-related questions

I have two questions mabye some of you can help me with....

First off---is there any real advantage to a cloth top??? I live in southern california, so
basically the spider is never driven unless it is top-down weather, and I am seriously
considering a vinyl top to replace my old, nasty top.  I know it's not necessarily true to
the original equipment, but I just can't see paying the extra $250 for something that is
rarely seen anyway.  I'm not trying to be cheap---if someone can provide me with one
good reason to get cloth, then I have no problem spending the cash....but I just can't
think of one.  Vinyl is more durable, resists sun-fade better, and frankly looks the same
from 10 ft away (so I've been led to believe....).

Second question is a bit more serious:  After my last run to redline in 5th gear, a few
days later a strange phenomonon started happening---at super low speed (5mph or less),
and at idle, there seems to be noticeable vibration that wasn't there before.
It's hard to tell where it's coming from---it doesn't seem to be centered anywhere, but it definately
feels like it's coming through the drivetrain---I can feel it in the pedals and my seat, but the
gearshift doesn't seem to carry it.  The other wierd part is that it disappears as soon as I get moving
more than 10 mph or so, and returns at random times (every 3rd stoplight or so).  The rest of the
time everything is completely normal.  I'd take it in to someone to listen/feel, but as I said it is
very intermittant--some days I never even feel it.
Before anyone asks--no I haven't crawled around under it yet, as I'm still recovering from an ankle
injury that saw 2 ligaments severed, so I'm not really enthusiastic about working on a car right now.
Actually, today was the first time in 3 weeks I have driven it (Talk about withdrawl!!!!!).

Is this indicative of the driveshaft donut failing?  I am skeptical, since it happens at idle as well...
Mabye something with the flywheel?  The engine mount on the exhaust side looks pretty new, so
I doubt the intake-side mount looks any different....I would think the vibration would increase with
engine rpm if the mount was bad....
Mabye impending transmission failure?  Could driving at those speeds caused too much heat
buildup in a tranny that is starting to lose the 2nd gear syncro?

Any ideas would be appreciated....