RE: brand vs. model

OK, I can't stay away from this one. It seems to me that there is very
little to differentiate models, brands and manufacturers anymore. Unless, of
course, you have a LOT of money.

An example was a two-seater convertible. In the US, from whom can I buy one?
New, that is. Depending on price and, more importantly, credit rating, I can
choose from Mazda (Miata), Mercedes (this year's SLC), Toyota -- twice(MR2
Spyder and that Lexus thing), BMW (Z3), Chevrolet ('Vette 'Vertible), Audi
(TT), and probably a couple others I've missed. If I'm willing to add a back
seat, there are more choices.

If I want, say, a 200+ HP rear-wheel drive 4-door sedan, what do I buy?
Hmmm... I'll bet it comes from Germany. But who REALLY cares about what
wheels drive the car anymore? All the buyers want is big alloy wheels and
ridiculously expensive 40-profile tires! (ooops...maybe that was  last
year...are useless spoilers in this year?) Plus they want to see their car
in at least one cool music video or high-rotation advertisement on CNN or
the Saturday afternoon college game. Something, at least, that their
neighbors will recognize.

Of course, they could want that 'safety' associated with an SUV. But we
shan't open up the SUV bashing thread once more.

I have a confession to make, folks. I've driven -- daily, exclusively --
nothing but Italian steel since 1996. But enough was enough. My lifestyle
does not really allow for the reliability issues associated with, at NEWEST,
a 7-year-old car. (BTW, I'm a single father of two daughters -- their
favorite: my 1983 GTV 6. 2nd place: my 1976 Spider.) I'm hereby admitting to
a non-Alfa purchase, my first since 1995! I recently purchased a 2000 Opel
Omega...er...what is this thing?  Right...'Cadillac Catera'.

So, I'm a freak. I actually sought out a rear-wheel drive, reasonably-fast,
well-appointed, under-warranty car. I think my hyphen key is wearing out...

All I can say in my defense regarding my purchase: 200 HP, rear-wheel drive,
European (Germany), 10,000 miles remaining on manufacturer's warrantee,
everything works, reasonable price, loaded, and I've still got the Spider on
the other side of the garage.

- Eric Hambleton, Marietta, GA

Trailer: someone PLEASE buy my Verde! The price is $1750...I refuse to go
lower as the car is worth more in parts. I realize it's a bad time of year
for shelling out wads of cash but this car might RUST in my driveway. Thus
far, Georgia is the farthest north that this car has lived -- she's got two
dots of rust that I've been able to find...neither larger than a dime. She
may have a lot of miles (> 180K) but the engine has been rebuilt with S-cams
& pistons.