lamps out

In a message dated 10/23/2002 7:55:43 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> The left rear turn signal lamps are both out.
>
> The right rear brake lamps are both out.
>
> Everything else works fine.
>
> I have changed all of the bulbs and checked all of the fuses.
>
> Any Ideas would be appreciated before I dive into the very large 164 wiring
> book
Sounds like a bad ground to me.  Could be anyplace, but I would first look
for a black wire in one of the rear lamp housings, and I would start on the
driver's side.  Why?  Let's say this appears to be a genetic trait and that's
been the situation on several Alfas, different models, I've  had over the
years.

On the GTV6 rear lights, every couple of years I need to remove the lamps,
clean up the sockets, and make sure the small prongs in there are making
good, solid contact with the lamp base.  Sometimes this takes careful bending
back into place with a suitable tool.

I can count on the fingers of one hand how many actual rear bulbs I have had
to replace over the years because they were just plain burned out.  But every
Alfa I've had takes some maintenance to the rear lights to keep 'em glowing.

Someone else may have another bright idea.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA