RE: V8 conversion comments

The Monster Miata came in 2 variations, one with the 5.0 Mousetwang motor and the Mega Monster with the Kenne Bell supercharger. I visited Monster in Escondido and test drove the car in the rain (it actually rained in SoCal), it was just horrible, it just plows like a pig due to the extra weight up front, needless to say straight line was impressive. You can't tell me Monster didn't do a first rate job, they upgraded everything but to no avail. I guess it's hard to overcome Newtonian physics, though the Swabian engineers surely tried hard with Der NeunElfer. I am glad I turbocharged my Miata instead.

I reckon the Spider would fare far worse since it doesn't have nearly the same torsional rigidity. Ever drive an MGB spider with the Rover V8? just horrible, you can feel the body twisting.

On the same trip, I also visited Dave Mericle (the elder) and checked out his Rotary Giulietta, but it was not complete at the time.

I got a ride from Mark Smith when he was developing his Factory Five car and thought, it too understeers badly, like every other Cobra replicas out there, but I could not really tell since I was not driving.

V8 conversions are best done to Volvos, ( search for Kingv8 or Ross Converse). I drove a Volvo 740 with the Z06 motor and the 6-speed tranny, again in the rain, simply awesome. I had thought of putting a V8 in my old Audi 5000CS Quattro wagon, since it would solve all the reliability problems with that turbocharged motor but it was my wife's car and I wasn't allowed.

- Steve.

At 11:25 PM 10/21/2002 -0400, GLewis4457@domain.elided wrote:

In a message dated 10/21/2002 10:21:25 PM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> So a better line might be:  "A Spider? Why do that when you could do it to
> Miata!  That would turn a lot more heads (cause they'd know what it is) and
> be just as much of a challenge - if not more so.

Been done!!!!!  Ford 302 I think.