V8 into a Spider

First off, I have to state the obvious - I think this is a Bad Idea.

That said, I'd recommend your friend take a look at the Buick/Rover aluminum V8. It may not be the Ford or Chevy asphalt-tearing mill that he was thinking of (although versions up to 5.0l are out there), but I would imagine anything with a cast-iron block would squash the front suspension like, well, a spider.

There've been plenty of conversions out there using this V8, so while it may be possible no one has stuck one in a Spider, there is a community for ideas - see, for instance:

http://www.rover-v8.co.uk/

Sticking one of these in a Spider surely won't be easy.... but under the hood of a Milano, maybe...