GTV6 Rear Brakes

I went under the car yesterday intending to replace the rear brake pads
but ended up putting the old pads back in and heading off to confess my
sin of excessive swearing.  Loud swearing.

It seems the outboard adjuster (the one under the plastic cap) has no
effect whatsoever on the piston clearance.  Thus, no matter how much I
turned it (and I turned it a bunch) or which direction I turned it I
could not get the piston to recede into the caliper even a little bit.
I think I was doing it right but it has been so long time since I did
this - well, it was on an Alfetta.  I loosened the 17mm nut and turned
the allen (hex) screw.  Is that correct?  BTW, the handbrake cable is
completely disconnected.

Another thing I noticed:  The outboard pad is quite worn but the inboard
one on the same caliper is worn not much.  This certainly doesn't seem
right to me.  I'm wondering if a previous owner, faced with the same
inability to get the adjuster to work, just replaced the inboard pad and
put the old outboard pad back in.  I know both pads are applying
pressure to the disk because both sides of the disk are shinny.

I was so frustrated I didn't even look at the left side caliper or pads.

I think at this point I need to get new, or rebuilt calipers but if
anyone has a better (cheaper) idea I'm all ears.  I suppose, if I have
to replace the calipers I might as well replace the rotors as well.  IAP
has drilled rotors for not much more than original type.  Is it worth
the extra $20 or so to get the drilled ones?

Thanks,
John