fuel gauge sending unit

To make a long story short, my fuel gauge stopped reading consistenly accurately after a bonehead friend dropped something on it, so I ordered one from APE which arrived with the float loose in the box. I'm wondering how I should go about re-attaching it. If I bend the wire arm to make it hold the float tighter, I'm afraid it might puncture it. If I glue it on, I'm afraid the gasoline might break down the glue and it would come free. Any suggestions? Are there any glues that we know will hold up to gasoline, long-term, and not weigh too much?

Thanks,
Joe Elliott
'82 GTV6