spider alignment

Greetings Alignment Fans,
Tom Sahines that caster is always positive for a spider.

I only parroted the information that was sent to me or gleaned from the
digest.

Caster is the number of degrees from true vertical.  Positive caster is when
the top is rear of center and the bottom is forward of center, like the front
wheel of a bicycle as opposed to the type of steering found on a shopping
cart.

Camber is the number of degrees from true vertical.  Positive camber is when
the top of the tire is further from the center of the vehicle than the bottom,
reminds my of my uncle's old tractor, and negative camber is the opposite, the
top of the tire is closer inboard toward the center of the vehicle and the
bottom is further from the center of the vehicle.

Toe angle is the number of degrees from straight ahead, toe in and the front
of the tires point toward the center line of the vehicle, toe out would be
when the fronts of the tires point away from the center line of the vehicle.
Rear driven vehicles usually have toe in because the rear wheels push the car
and the car drags the front wheels along.  This drag causes the wheels to move
rearward slightly and ending up pretty much pointing straight ahead.

Wayne Abbott
Durham, NC
86 Spider Graduate