thanks for trans info

Esteemed Alfisti,
The opening in the back of the bellhousing has been attributed to an earlier
design. Thanks to all who staightened me out on this matter. The P.O. had
apparently mated the 1750 to a later, or original '72 gearbox. It's clear to
me now that the gearboxes and bellhousings are discreet in their combination.

There is one small issue that I humbly submit as I begin the reassembly
process. The Spider Service Manual shows three pieces that bring the
propellor shaft into contact with the rear of the transmission. (besides the
guibo) There is a washer, a plug, and a bushing. On dissassembly, my car
possessed only the slightly tapered, cylindrical black rubber washer. The
nose of the output shaft was pretty battered looking, having fresh metal
indicated contact....and wear. This may explain the rumbling I had been
experiencing during no-torque regimes. I'm guessing I should be looking for
these replacement parts and would appreciate any comments to bring this
assembly into correctness.  Thanks again, Digesti.
Modelle in Somers Point