Re: Help--74 Spica--adjuster screw under TA turned all the way

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rotondi, Armando" <rotondiaj@domain.elided>
To: <alfa-digest@domain.elided>
Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 6:48 AM
Subject: Help--74 Spica--adjuster screw under TA turned all the way

> > Hello all,
> >
> > I have had a "slightly" mis-adjusted Spica for several years now, and
> > decided that the digest would be a great place to get some help.  Here
is
> > the issue. The screw that is part of the plunger, which is under the
> > thermostatic actuator, and is used to adjust the distance between the
> > lever that the "long link" attaches to and the reference screw, is
screwed
> > all the way in.  I got the car about 8 years ago, and I had to set it
this
> > way the first time that I tuned it. At the time, it didn't seem right so
> > took it to a shop that is very good with Alfas and they agreed that the
> > screw needed to be all the way in.  Eventhough the screw is all the way
> > in, the gap is less than 0.019".   I've lived with it, but I am
wondering
> > what can be done to bring the gap up to where it should be?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Armando Rotondi

Armando,

I have a 79 SPICA car that I have been trying to tune, as well.  What gap
are you talking about - the one between the lever and stop screw on the
outside of the pump or the measurement for the plunger depth in the TA
cavity?  The Oregon Chapter web site has some excellent instruction on the
SPICA unit,  including a tech session with Wes Ingram.  According to their
guide, the correct plunger to top of the TA hole measurement is 27 to 29mm
depending on your model.  But there are a series of adjustments to tune the
SPICA that start with the  magical .019 gap measurement.

Check it out.

Don