Re: Alan Ward, Sway bars, and Spica Filters

Dear Digesti,

Many years ago when I time trialed with AROSC Alan Ward was a regular
participant/guru.  I remember he ran a frighteningly quick Berlina that
hade the stock air box.  He would remove the filters for the timed
runs.  I think that speaks volumes for the design.  Another Alan Ward
note.  His suspension set up for 105 cars was his springs and an
oversize rear sway bar, leaving the front bar stock.  I set up my GTV
like this with Konis and I must say it was very neutral.  Stock Alfas
tend to understeer, stiffening the rear countered it nicely.  This was
confirmed at a driver's school at Willow Springs when the chief
instructor, Danny Mckeever, stated to the group he had just ridden in
the most neutral Alfa he had ever been in, after riding on the skid pad
in my car.

YMMV,

Dave De Rosier
Sunny San Diego