Re:Audi

"Engineering at Audi never ceases to impress me either--for a number of
reasons.  Not the least of which is building an otherwise-world-class car
like the 80/90 and stuffing an absurdly archaic non-crossflow engine in it.
For crying out loud, is this an MGB or a German sedan from the '90s?
Sticking the engine waaaay forward like they do, although great for AWD
systems, means that minor front-end collisions are much more expensive than
in other
cars."

Let's not throw too many stones at the engineering qualities of Audi without
at least acknowledging some of Alfa's oversights.  HVAC systems, shift
linkages, belt detensioners, door handles, rust traps, and of course several
points of the technically anachronistic Spider that was sold in the US well
into the 90s are all notable technical shortcomings from Arese.  Is a
non-crossflow head any worse than a live rear axle if they both serve their
purpose?  I agree that the person who said that Audi invented the aluminum
car, 5 valves per cylinder, and all wheel drive could have chosen their
words better.  However, while Audi may not have invented these features,
they implemented them on a large scale which quite often is much harder to
do than just to make these work in limited productions.  Audi's resurgence
in the automotive marketplace isn't due to catchy advertising or 0%
financing.  Their success is due to technical innovation, which is a phrase
rarely used in descriptions of Alfa Romeo during the time Audi 80/90s were
being sold.  I drive a '00 A4 and was fortunate enough to spend a month
driving a 156 in Holland.  Comparing the two, I felt that the A4 is a better
car.  The A4 interior is nicer and much less plasticy than the 156.  The
Audi panel gaps were thinner and more even, and the A4 felt more solid with
fewer rattles.  I did enjoy the 156, and the non-rental spec may be more
entertaining to drive than a similar A4, but that doesn't mean that Audi's
product engineering is inferior to Alfa Romeo's product engineering.  In my
mind, questioning a company's engineering capabilities, especially without
an insider view, is a fairly brash commentary to make.

Cheers,
Lawrence
'71 GTV

Lawrence Gowin