milano drive shaft too short?

Chris,
this happened to me a couple of times when I changed driveshafts on my
Alfettas. After triple checking everything, I went ahead "with" the gap, which
disappeared after I bolted everything up and let the car idle for a little
while. The donuts were very slightly stretched in the end, same as before I
pulled things apart.
I attached the rear donut to the transaxle first, then turned the shaft a few
times to settle it (and to distribute the gap..) before I tightened the centre
support nuts on the transmission tunnel (watch the way you turn the shaft on
the V6..). No dramas since then.. Perhaps it's as simple as that..

Martin in Sydney

Chris writes:
I recently bought a Milano Platinum that will be a donor car for my Milano
Gold. I am in the process of changing over the transaxles. After installing
the transaxle from the Platinum, I was re-installing the drive shaft and
found that it was about 1/2" too short. I have checked the length of the two
drive shafts, and they seem to be the same. I installed a new front flex
joint but the width is the same as the original. The only thing that has
changed is the transaxle. Don't have a good way to check the length on the
transaxle. Has anyone run into this kind of problem before?