Re: Brera

At 12:48 AM +0000 10/13/02, alfa-digest wrote:
Can any of you knowledgeable people explain to me what exactly "manual
with automatic shifting" means?  Elsewhere in the article it says
"driving the rear wheels through a six-speed transaxle with sequential
gearshifting."  My guess was that the gearbox works like a typical
motorcycle gearbox in that the same action shifts from 1 to 2 as from 2
to 3 and from 3 to 4, etc. and that the buttons on the steering wheel
spokes caused electrical actuators (solenoids?) to operate the clutch
and the gear shifter.  Does "automatic shifting" mean it will shift for
itself if you don't push the button?  Does "transaxle" mean it's mounted
in the back, away from the engine, like an Alfetta?
Your guess as to what "manual with automatic shifting" means seems correct. Whether it has an automatic mode to shift itself, I don't know. Transaxle does in fact mean it's mounted in the back, like an Alfetta, or in this case like the current Maserati that Giugiaro borrowed the drivetrain from.