re: Milano starting woes

The cold start injector opens ONLY when the ignition switch is in the start position (AND the thermo-time switch is closed, obviously).

At 12:48 AM +0000 10/13/02, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 15:03:15 -0500
From: David Morales <davidm@domain.elided>
Subject: Milano starting woes

My 87 Milano Gold had not been started for about nine months. When I
parked it (indoors), it ran fine. I did take off the throttle body,
plenum, injector rail and intake runners, plus valve covers, and changed
the timing belt. Everything is back in place and connected correctly;
the valve timing is also right. When I start the engine, it runs well,
but a few seconds later, as soon as the cold-start injector closes, the
engine stalls. I've managed to keep it running (sort of) by opening and
closing the throttle repeatedly. Once the engine warms up somewhat, it
runs on its own, but just on the three right-bank cylinders --the three
on the left spark fine, but there is no mixture being ignited. Because
the engine runs on all pistons when the cold-start valve is open, it
seems like the three left injectors are not doing their thing, but I
have no idea why; from what I understand, all the injectors are
connected in parallel, so they should all open simultaneously.

Is it possible that those three injectors are stuck? If so, how to
unstick them? Maybe some ground wire I can't find, or a hidden fuse? All
suggestions welcome.

Best luck,

David Morales
Stubborn '87 Milano Gold