Re: alfa-digest V8 #1215

On Saturday, October 12, 2002, at 11:04  AM, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 11:05:18 EDT
From: GLewis4457@domain.elided
Subject: Re: Miata/Alfa Spider

In a message dated 10/12/2002 1:09:26 AM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

By the way, even though I've not driven a recent Miata, the original
one was certainly no real competition for an Alfa Spider in my eyes.
Like most Japanese cars, it was designed by the numbers by engineers
who take the train to work,
One of the major car mags, in the mid 90's, did a comparison of 5 (if my
fading memory still serves me) current "sportscars" which included the Miata
and the then current Spider. By just about every measure imagineable the
Alfa came in dead last...its age was definately showing and suffering by
comparison.
I don't doubt that "by the numbers" this is true. But I've driven several early Miatas and they were boring cars by every important issue I can think of. They were very efficient, but they felt dead. They gave little or no feedback through either the steering wheel or the seat of the pants. The Alfa Spider did (does) both. The engine in the Miata was nice, but it sounded like a sewing machine instead of a lusty, race-bred powerplant. Since few of us actually race, our sports cars are about entertainment, not about raw performance. Not that its not nice to have performance too, but the overriding consideration is whether or not the car is FUN to drive. Above the 'fun' of being a convertible, I found the Miatas I've driven to be fairly uninspired, in spite of the numbers. If the passion ain't built-in It's not going to be there at all. Now, I can see owning a Miata and driving it daily and enjoying its unfussy performance. What I cannot see is getting excited enough about it to join a Miata club, edit a Miata magazine/newsletter or take part in a Miata@domain.elided. THAT's what the Alfa had that the Miata didn't. Just my opinion, you understand.

It was widely reported at the time that Mazda bought several Lotus Elans,
shiped them to Japan, and disassembled and reverse engineered, and these were
the basis for the original Miata. Whatever they did they kicked Alfa butt in
the market place. It was much closer to a real drivers car than the aging
Alfa.
Yes the Miata is very similar in form to an original Elan (its bigger though). The copied a lot from the Lotus, that's true. What did not get copied was the sense of aliveness that Elans exhibited, but then, they didn't have Colin Chapman, did they? ;->

Besides keeping the old alfa spi9der well beyond its useful life, I also
believe that FIAT wasted alot of money and resources in their abortive Indy
500 effort....especially after the failure of Porsche. That was not their
real market niche and if the money had gone into a new product, improved
reliability and build qualitym, with a marketing effort in the right places
they may have been able to stay the course, or even prospered. Just alot of
bad decisions and lack of knowledge of the North American market.
Fiat never did understand this market and I don't think Alfa Romeo ever did either.

George Graves
'86 GTV-6