Re: alfa-digest V8 #1215

On Sat, 12 Oct 2002 18:04:57 +0000
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided (alfa-digest) (actually dlou
<dlou@domain.elided>) wrote:

> Here's an article on the Brera in the latest Car and Driver.
[...]
> http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/carnews/0211_upfront_alfa.xml

In that article I read:

> Transmission 6-speed manual with automatic shifting and clutch

Can any of you knowledgeable people explain to me what exactly "manual
with automatic shifting" means?  Elsewhere in the article it says
"driving the rear wheels through a six-speed transaxle with sequential
gearshifting."  My guess was that the gearbox works like a typical
motorcycle gearbox in that the same action shifts from 1 to 2 as from 2
to 3 and from 3 to 4, etc. and that the buttons on the steering wheel
spokes caused electrical actuators (solenoids?) to operate the clutch
and the gear shifter.  Does "automatic shifting" mean it will shift for
itself if you don't push the button?  Does "transaxle" mean it's mounted
in the back, away from the engine, like an Alfetta?

--
Remember, more computing power was thrown away last week than existed in
the world in 1982.  -- http://www.tom.womack.net/computing/prices.html