oil level

What are the MIN and MAX marks on the dipstick relative to? Immediately after shutting the car off, the dipstick reads much lower because so much of the oil is clinging to surfaces up in the head. After the car sits for a week, the level reads much higher. When do I need to add oil? When it reads MIN after shutdown or when it reads MIN after sitting a week? And if I add oil after it's been running, it will indicate that it's over-filled after it sits for a while. Is this bad?

Thanks,
Joe Elliott
'82 GTV6