re: 1.8 turbo in a 74 spider???

At 2:53 PM +0000 10/11/02, alfa-digest wrote:
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 07:49:55 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Gregory S. Youngblood" <greg@domain.elided>
Subject: re: 1.8 turbo in a 74 spider???

Joe Elliott said:
 This is what I've been advocating all along.  I'm told the putting a  TS
 in a Spider involves a hood clearance problem, which the 1.8T
 wouldn't have--the head is just like any other 1750, except it has a
 fairly shallow bit of intake plumbing running over it in the stock
 installation.  Of course a modern supercharger and modern EFI a la
 Biba's musings will get you better performance, but I still think  this
 is a great idea for those on a budget.  In fact, this is (in my
 opinion) the engine that Alfa should have put in the later Spider
 Veloces to stay ahead of the Miata.  Of course 160 turbocharged
 horses vs. the 148 normally-aspirated horses of the TwinSpark is a
 matter of taste, but the way I see it, no one has any experience
 working on the TS in this country.  The 1.8 Turbo, however, is just a
 1750 with some generic '80s turbo hardware on it.  You could probably
 get these engines for a lot cheaper than that eBay auction, however.  I
 > know my Opel could use one of those...

OK, so now the question of the hour -- it seems a lot of 1750 and 2000
components are interchangable. Not all, but it sure does seem like a lot.

If that's the case, could this be the foundation of 2000 turbo kit? Would
the turbo, plumbing, and intake I'm assuming (not exactly sure where the
turbo feeds) from this fit a 2000?

Greg
I've wondered the same thing, and I imagine that the answer is yes, but I don't have enough 4cyl experience to know for sure.

Joe