Running out of oil? not likely

I hate to break it to all you green types but the chances of the human population using up all the recoverable petroleum before we asphyxiate ourselves is next to nil.

Up here in the frozen North we have a tar sands deposit that has presently recoverable reserves exceeding those of Saudi Arabia AND the rest of the Middle East combined. Colorado is reputed to have oil shales of similar extent.

Mind you, the recovery costs are huge compared to Middle Eastern lifting costs, but we have no exploration costs, we know where it all is. Plus, if recovery technology improves the reserves go higher.

Nope, we do need to think about how much CO2 and H20 our atmosphere can safely absorb before it gets a little warm in here.

Keep driving those fuel efficient Alfas, even the old "dirty" ones are environmentally sound under the new Kyoto rules.

As for valve seats, no aluminum head engine needs "hardened" valve seats, they come that way from the factory. Unleaded fuel isn't a problem in that regard.

Cheers

Michael Smith
White 1991 164L
Original owner