re: Importing non-us models,

N said:
> Okay, folks.  I have to weigh in on this one.
>
> I was there back in the '80's when Mercedes & BMW spent a ton of $$ &
> time in Washington "lobbying" our elected & appointed officials.  Seems
> they suddenly realized that a LOT of people were wising up to what they
> were doing, i.e. charging a LOT more for a car here than they did in the
> Fatherland.  In fact, at one point, given the exchange rate at the time,
> it cost almost exactly to the dollar TWICE AS MUCH for the same
> Mercedes, with the same equipment here in the U.S as in Germany.

A counselor in my old high school actually ordered a VW van (the camper
model with the pop up tent et. al.) in Germany, flew over there with his
wife, toured Europe with it for a couple of weeks, flew back, shipped the
van, and picked it up at the port -- and still saved money over buying it
from the dealer in the US. Or so he said.

Don't know the details about the van -- did he order US spec delivered in
Germany or did he have it "converted" by a shop here in the states. Or did
he just never bother converting it.

greg